Ladyboy Cabarets might not be everyone's cup of tea but on Chaweng Beach you can enjoy a sparkling evening out with this fun form of entertainment. Thai society is generally more open to ladyboys than many other cultures, and its katoey, or the 'third sex', have played a prominent role in the nation's entertainment industry for generations. Thailand's katoey are world famous, partly because there are so many of them and also because they are so feminine. In fact it can be difficult to tell if the beautiful young lady paying you attention was a lady at birth... as many an unwitting tourist has discovered!
A typical show involves lip-synched interpretations of popular songs, complete with elaborate costumes and make-up. Some of the performances are skilfully choreographed and the tone is light-hearted, sprinkled with glitter and glitz.
Most of the cabarets in Chaweng are located near the Centara Grand Beach Resort, which makes for interesting competition before the show. The 'girls' hand out flyers and sometimes drag you in to their bar forcibly! Keep an open mind and enjoy the show!
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Around the Island Tour
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Jungle Adventure
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
- Chanita Thai Cooking Class
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
Paris Follies Cabaret
This popular cabaret show and bar - formerly Moulin Rouge Cabaret before changing ownership - features three shows nightly at 20:00, 21:30 and 23:00. Some 20 performers bring out their inner Lady Marmalade with song, dance and fabulous costumes. The earlier show is a more 'soft and sweet' performance suitable for families, while things heat up for the later shows. Entry is free but drinks, at 220 to 360 baht each, are pricier than the average bar or nightclub.
- Opening Hours: 20:00 – 24:00
- Location: 166/92 Moo 2, off Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng
- Tel: +66 (0)98 720 1895
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/parisfolliescabaret
Starz Cabaret Samui
Starz Cabaret features a mix of Western pop divas and Thai cultural dance, all performed with good humour and zest. The drinks menu is fairly standard and reasonably priced. Starz Cabaret has free entry and show times 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30. Booking a table in advance is recommended.
- Opening Hours: Shows start 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30
- Location: Chaweng Beach Road, Chaweng
- Tel: +66 (0)84 744 9074, +66 (0)89 291 3242
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/StarzCabaretSamui
The Cabaret Lamai Beach
The Cabaret Lamai Beach is the most chic and modern of the ladyboy shows in Samui, with a luxurious VIP area and talented transgender dancers in 12-act, one-hour performances featuring great family-friendly comedy and song and dance routines. Located close to the Lamai Variety Centre on the main road through the relatively quiet town, the well-decorated theatre does not get as busy as those in Chaweng, but the dancers still giving it their all, no matter the size of the audience. The Cabaret Lamai Beach has three shows per night, starting at 20:30, 21:30 and 22:30. Tickets cost 250 baht and includes a free drink.
- Opening Hours: 20:00 – 24:00
- Location: 124/555 Moo 3, Haad Lamai Road, Lamai
- Tel: +66 (0)81 894 3250
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/cabaretlamaibeach