Gringos Cantina has been on the island longer than the surf and was Samui’s first ever Mexican restaurant, or, to be more accurate, Tex Mex restaurant. The restaurant is made up of two sections; Gringos serves the Tex Mex dishes while the aptly named ‘Outback’ section serves barbecued food.
There’s a fairly laid-back and fun atmosphere here, largely because the Canadian owner is an extremely friendly guy. Adding to the atmosphere is the Mexican/Spanish/C&W background music as well as twice weekly live Spanish guitar but don’t expect the wait staff to break out into fluent Spanish; they barely get by in English.
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Around the Island Tour
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Jungle Adventure
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
- Chanita Thai Cooking Class
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
Here, you can enjoy Mexican lasagna, enchiladas, burritos, chimichangas, fajitas, and Texan specialities such as spicy Santa Fe pork ribs and beef stew. Vegetarians are well taken care of and the barbecue selection features both local and imported meats.
As for décor, expect a pink exterior, rudimentary heavy wooden farm-like furniture, a brightly lit bar, both an indoor and al-fresco section and plenty of Mexican memorabilia such as sombreros that diners sometimes wear after a few tequila shots too many.
- Opening Hours: Daily 11:00 – 22:30
- Location: Behind the Islander Bar in central Chaweng
- Tel: 077 413 267