Haad Rin Shopping
Where to Shop and What to Buy in Haad Rin
Haad Rin is small enough to get around in within one hour on foot. The shopping here is noticeably cheaper than in Samui with all the same items, but still it’s a good idea to barter and haggle prices down anyway, although higher-end shops have fixed prices. You’ll find that articles will rise in price on the night of the Full Moon party and that shops stay open as long as people are willing to buy on that particular night and, because of the booze, people will buy and take a fancy to articles that they’ll wonder about the next day.
You’ll find many roadside stalls and shops throughout the town but when it comes right down to it there really is not a lot of variation when it comes to items for sale. Beachwear, sarongs, funny hats and T-shirts are the main staples with a couple of enterprises specializing in handmade jewelry and leatherwear and even a lingerie shop on the way down to the party beach!
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Around the Island Tour
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Jungle Adventure
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
- Chanita Thai Cooking Class
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
It’s not unusual to find 7-Elevens in Thailand but what’s different about this one is that it is extremely busy. Be prepared to queue for some time when shopping here, it’s packed out.
- Opening Hours: 24/24
- Location: Haad Rin East
Oh la la! The last thing you’d expect in this virginal, innocent little town is a sexy lingerie shop yet there it stands, as bold as brass selling naughty nighties, babydolls, ‘Christmas’ outfits, G-strings, ‘adult costumes’ – even sexy PVC-leather corsets. FYI, outside of Bangkok you’d have to look far and wide to find this type of outlet. Fixed prices.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 23:00 and much later on Full Moon Party nights
- Location: Haad Rin East – alley leading down to the party beach
Full Moon in Love Clothing Shop
This is a typical Haad Rin beach/party clothes shop at which you can score fluorescent bikinis, T-shirts, shorts and party paraphernalia. Fluorescent beachwear doesn’t come cheap and for those on a budget you’ll need to bargain hard – with a smile, of course.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – very late on party nights
- Location: Central Haad Rin
Clothes shop with an air-conditioned interior. Mostly dealing in ladies’ fashion, Fusion features locally made products. If there’s a name brand in here it’ll more than likely be a pirated version.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – whenever there are customers
- Location: Central Haad Rin leading down to party beach (Haad Rin East)
Generic, ‘No-Name’ Supermarket
What this mart doesn’t sell you wouldn’t want to have anyway. Hippy bags, sunglasses, booze, straw mats, sarongs, fishermen pants, beachwear, souvenirs and gifts – the list is endless – all with a nonsensical ‘No Packing’ sign outside… your guess is as good as mine.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – 22:00
- Location: Central Haad Rin near 7-Eleven
Nature Art Gallery
Nature Art Gallery has three branches in Haad Rin – each classy, clean and a treasure trove of handmade jewelry, made-to-order trinkets, semi- and precious stones, Buddha images, silver accessories, broaches, wallets, bags and textiles. It’s all helped along by English-speaking staff (Burmese of course) and a professional approach that is rare to find in this party town. Fixed prices.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 23:00
- Location: Three branches, all in Central Haad Rin
- Tel: 077 375 246
Thai pharmacies readily sell over-the-counter products that may need a doctor’s prescription in the west. As such, a typical qualified Thai chemist has surprisingly broad knowledge when it comes to drugs and medicine. The trouble is, when the chemist takes a break he or she will often leave an unqualified person or relative in their place.
- Opening Hours: Times vary but generally 09:00 – 22:00 with several staying open late on party nights. Southland International Clinic is open 24/24
- Location: Throughout Haad Rin
Haad Rin has proven to be a magnet for both tattooists and the tattooed. A ‘tat’ is a (somewhat indelible) souvenir of a tropical holiday and even though they don’t come cheap (12,000 baht for a leg tat) more than enough people go for one. For some strange reason the relation between the amount of alcohol consumed and the likelihood of getting a tattoo is exponential – so be warned – and the number of tattoo shops in Haad Rin testifies of this fact.
- Opening Hours: 10:00 – very late
- Location: Throughout the town