A popular place with expat residents, Ando Loco is medium sized, cleverly lit and serves Mexican dishes “at backpacker prices”. Vegetarian section and a huge range of burritos, tortillas, chichimangas, salsas, and all things Mexican, the restaurant gets busy at night and it’s no wonder why. Free pool table, self-described ‘Crazy’ American chef and owner and a happy-go-lucky atmosphere, Ando Loco is one of Thong Sala’s landmark restaurants. A strange, or loco quirk is that if you go as four diners or more 10% service charge will be added onto the bill.
- Opening Hours: Thursday–Tuesday from 1pm to 11pm, closed on Wednesdays
- Location: 90/15, Talad Kao Road, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)85 791 7600
A’s Coffee Shop
Clean and attractive, A’s offers chicken-and-rice dishes, breakfasts (upstairs is a guesthouse) and free WiFi. Basic and simple, just the way a lot of people like it, prices are reasonable, too.
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 9am to 9pm, closed on Sundays
- Location: 146 Moo 1, Soi Krungthai, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 377 226
Set in an old wooden house right on the beach of Thong Sala, Beachlounge is a charming restaurant serving delicious Thai food, seafood and east-meets-west specialities. All the dishes are cooked with fresh ingredients and absolutely without MSG (Glutamate). Beachlounge also has one of the most impressive wine selections in Koh Phangan, as well as excellent cocktails. You can choose to sit on the front terrace under a thatched roof, or pick a beach mat with foldout triangle cushion to dine with your toes in the sand. Rates are reasonable.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 11pm
- Location: 89/1 Moo 1, Thong Sala, Koh phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)86 870 4942
It’s small, modest looking, but still delivers the goods, food wise. Casa Italiana, with its five tables and tiny bar is intimate and thus speedy when it comes to presenting orders. The restaurant also has one of the chattiest, verbose waitresses on the island.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 10pm
- Location: Moo 1, Taladkao Rd, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
Koh Phangan’s only 24-hour food outlet, Food Factory is no greasy spoon as it is run by those clever Same Same people who hold the island’s best cooking classes and another fast food joint in Haad Rin. Food Factory is strategically located near the string of girlie bars in Baan Tai and has large-screen TVs, bright lighting and a roadside location. Food-wise, expect top-quality burgers and pizzas and Food Factory runs cut-price drinks promotions such as Thirsty Thursday which features buy one beer get one free. All major sports events covered.
- Opening Hours: 24/7
- Location: Moo 1, Thongsala-Baan Tai Road, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84320, Thailand
- Address: +66 (0)87 904 3923
The Masons Arms
Once you’ve got over the initial surprise of discovering a genuine English pub in the tropics you’ll notice that the Masons Arms sports a complete pub menu with all-day breakfasts, roasts, sausages – everything, right down to the Branston pickle! The pub is spacious, air conditioned with an upstairs terrace, a beer garden and a computerized free jukebox as well as pool and table football.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 9.30am to midnight
- Location: 145/5 Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)62 456 0192
Thong Sala Food Market
Standing in the middle of town, Thong Sala’s nightly food market is an explosion of colours, aromas and delicious grilled fish, meatballs, curries, vegetables, fruit, cakes and a whole lot more besides. A jocular atmosphere pervades here, with vendors joshing with punters, offering free samples and a seat at the central table where full meals can be consumed. Try the northeastern specialty som tam with grilled chicken. Cheap and tasty.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12pm to 10pm
- Location: Moo 1, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84320, Thailand
The name of this restaurant fortunately doesn’t mean that burgers have been prepared years ago to be served to you today. The ‘vintage formula’ of this cool restaurant, located just a stroll away from the ferry pier in Thong Sala, is: fresh + homemade + love = Vintage burger. And this formula works pretty well, as their juicy hamburgers, fresh off the sizzling grill, could almost convince the most hardcore vegetarian to change their ways. Under Portuguese management, this unpretentious yet well thought-out venue, has a very relaxed atmosphere.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5pm to 10pm
- Location: Moo 1, Soi Krungthai, Thong Sala, Koh Phangan, Surat Thani 84280, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)99 347 1983