Arun@Samui is not only an award-winning Thai restaurant (albeit a quirky one) but is also a cooking school. Sue, the owner, used to live in Sydney, where her restaurant won the 1991 ‘Bent Fork’ award and has since moved back to Samui.
Arun@Samui restaurant welcomes people every day except Wednesdays. Arun is, in effect, a shop-house on the main ring road that features traditional Thai dishes (eschewing MSG) such as som tam (papaya salad) spring rolls, several soups and a lot more.
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Jungle Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Around the Island Tour
- Temples & City Tour
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
Still, Arun has more to it than that: Every Tuesday and Thursday at midday Sue runs Thai cooking classes; students can choose between three or five courses and lessons start at 1,000 baht.
As for dining at Arun@Samui, prices are surprisingly low and you’re definitely in for a one-on-one Thai experience in this compact restaurant. Another unusual aspect of this outlet is that Sue asks people to bring their own wine. Now that’s original. Thankfully, Wine Connection is down the road.
- Opening Hours: 11:00 – 22:00 closed Wednesdays
- Location: Next to the K. Bank ATM on Mae Nam’s ring road
- Tel: 077 921 566