Samui International Airport is often acclaimed as one of the coolest and best-looking airports in Thailand. It is privately owned and run by Bangkok Airways. Samui Airport is conveniently located between Bophut and Chaweng beaches. Opened in 1989, its first version had a strong tropical touch as most of the buildings were made of bamboo-and-thatch.
Modernized and improved since then, Samui Airport did not lose its charming exotic feel. The two terminals are open-sided, and a great deal of tropical flowers give them a keen holiday feel. There are few air-conditioned areas, except for the offices and gift shops. Samui Airport owes its international status to the flights it offers to Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Jungle Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Around the Island Tour
- Temples & City Tour
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
Samui Airport Immigration and Transfers
With over two million passengers in 2015, Samui Airport is the seventh busiest airport in Thailand. Despite the increasing volume of passengers arriving to Samui, the process to check out remains smooth. Going through immigration, customs, and baggage recovery usually takes little time.
A great choice of transfer options is available at Samui Airport. You'll find the following modes of transport in the arrivals area:
- Private car taxi (airport to Chaweng for 500 baht)
- Private minivan taxi (for up to six passengers, airport to Chaweng for 800 baht)
- Shared minivan transfers (airport to Chaweng for 130 baht)
- Car rental counters (Hertz, Sixt, Budget, Avis)
Samui International Airport Facilities
Samui International Airport hosts a cool shopping and dining area named Samui Park Avenue. You'll find here a good choice of plush boutiques, cafés, and restaurants. Those include a Jim Thompson shop, a Bookazine branch, a pub, a pizzeria, and more. It is pretty upmarket and sometimes features live jazz music. It is great for people in transit.
For people interested in unusual artefacts, Samui Robot Group shop sits just outside Samui Airport. This 'recycling' shop sells fantastic Alien and Predator-like monsters. They are built out of used auto and motorcycle parts. Somewhat scary looking, they're nevertheless testimony to Thai handicraft skills. It is open from 08:30 – 19:30.
Samui International Airport
- Location: Between Bophut and Chaweng in the northeastern part of Samui Island
- Tel: +66 (0)77 425 012