The best sunset bars in Koh Samui give you the opportunity to discover the lesser known beaches on the west coast of the island – as well as the chance to enjoy them with a few drinks. Among these beaches are Taling Ngam, Lipa Noi and other small coves are not yet as famous or busy as Chaweng and Lamai on the east coast of the island, although they feature a great choice of beachfront dining opportunities under the coconut trees most of them are fringed with.
Standalone businesses or part of a hotel, these top sundowner spot in Koh Samui will add a memorable exotic touch to your holiday in the Gulf of Thailand. What could be more romantic than to sip a skilfully mixed cocktail in a pleasantly warm environment, caressed by the tropical breeze while watching the sun sink under the horizon?
- Ang Thong Adventure Tour
- Ko Tao & Ko Nang Yuan Snorkeling Tour
- Jungle Adventure
- Sea Kayaking at Ang Thong Marine Park
- Around the Island Tour
- Temples & City Tour
- Big Game Fishing Full-Day Tour
- 4-Wheel ATV Adventure
- Red Baron Junk Sailing Tour with Transfers
- Guided Photography Tour with Golden Pagoda & Big Buddha
Air Bar Koh Samui
Belonging to the Intercontinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, Air Bar is a top-notch venue to enjoy a sundowner. Settled on a large wooden terrace overlooking the sea, Air Bar serves delicious cocktails, as well as tapas and snacks such as sushi and sashimi in a refined yet, natural settings. The stunning panoramic view features islands and islets in the background. Note that rates are pretty steep, as quality comes at a certain price.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5 pm to midnight
- Location: Intercontinental Samui Resort, 295 Moo 3, Taling Ngam, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 429 100
Nikki Beach Koh Samui is the premier high-end beach club and resort on the island. Located on the pristine Lipa Noi Beach on the west coast, it’s the only club of its kind to enjoy stunning sunsets. They’re best viewed from the luxurious poolside sun loungers and cabanas.
The beach club is part of the exclusive 48-room Nikki Beach Resort Koh Samui and has been the top VIP chill-out beach experience since its opening in 2009. Reservations are recommended. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8 am to 1 am
- Location: Nikki Beach Resort Koh Samui, 96/3 Moo 2, Lipa Noi, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 914 500
The Virgin Coast Restaurant
Found in an idyllic tropical setting on Taling Ngam beachfront, The Virgin Coast Restaurant is a very pleasant dining venue. Surrounded by coconut trees and facing the west, it’s a great sunset spot, built and furnished in wood, bamboo and thatch. Regarding food, the chef juggles with Thai and western influences to serve top-notch fusion cuisine as well as more traditional local and international dishes, including seafood.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11 am to 10 pm
- Location: 166/9 Moo 1, Taling Ngam, Koh Samui District, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 270 689
Woobar is part of the stylish W Koh Samui, a modern upscale resort located on the small cape separating Bophut from Maenam. Featuring a large outdoor deck with swimming pool, the bar has a stunning contemporary style enhanced by the panoramic view over the sea. It’s a view that encompasses the northeastern part of Samui and Koh Phangan, some 12 km away off the shore.
Even though the bar doesn’t directly face the sunset, it offers a pleasant sundowner spot due to its amazing view. Note that there’s a 600 baht entrance fee applied between 11 am and 6.30 pm, which can be redeemed against food and beverages.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11 am to 12 am
- Location: W Koh Samui, 4/1 Moo 1, Maenam, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84330, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 915 999
Jahn is an award-winning restaurant at the stylish Conrad Koh Samui, located in Taling Ngam district at the southwestern tip of Samui Island. Perched on a hill above Phang Ka Bay, it features a wooden terrace offering stunning views of 5 islands lying off the coast of Samui. It’s a great view at any time of day, but especially at sunset, when the warm colours of the sky reveal the magnificence of tropical seaside areas. While the menu varies from time to time, it focuses on contemporary Thai flavours. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 5 pm to 11 pm
- Location: Conrad Koh Samui, 49/8 Hillcrest Road, Taling Ngam, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 915 888
The Island View Restaurant
The Island View Restaurant is a beachfront venue located in Taling Ngam, on the west coast of Samui Island, a stroll away south from the Am Samui Resort. This great casual restaurant is a first-class place to spend a relaxing dinner on the beach while sampling delicious local specialities.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11 am to 9 pm
- Location: 348 Moo 3, Nara-Taling-Ngam Rd, Taling Ngam, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)93 575 8209
Zenzibar Beach Bar & Restaurant
Located right on Maenam Beach, between Ampha Place Hotel and Sensimar Resort, Zenzibar Beach Bar & Restaurant serves a great choice of traditional Thai and international dishes, including seafood fare. Even though the restaurant is north-facing, with great views to Koh Phangan, Zenzibar is a reputed sundowner spot renowned for the quality of its cocktails.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 12 pm to 10 pm
- Location: 18/33 Maenam, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84330, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)62 315 2324
Beryl Bar is located right on Laem Yai Beach, at the western end of Bang Por in the north of Koh Samui. It’s a simple reggae-style bar and restaurant renowned for its laid-back atmosphere, good food, and cold beers. This unpretentious venue has a genuine Thai feel, and is a great sundowner spot. The dirt road to get there is a bit tricky to handle on a motorbike, but the sunset view is definitely worth the effort.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8 am to 10 pm
- Location: Moo 5, Laem Yai Beach, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)93 642 8399
Think & Retro Cafe’
Part of a hotel with the same name, Think & Retro Cafe’ is a quirky and unique place. Entirely built under the concept of recycling, the buildings are made from shipping containers and the furniture and decorative ornaments are all made with objects enjoying their second life. And it looks pretty good! Located right on Lipa Noi Beach, therefore facing west, Retro Bar and Restaurant offers a fantastic spot to enjoy a sunset drink in Samui at fair rates.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8.30 am to 10 pm
- Location: 38/48 Lipa Noi Beach, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)77 423 951
Hemingway's on the Beach
Hemingway’s on the Beach is settled amid coconut trees directly on the secluded beach of Thongkrut fisherman’s village, in the south of Samui. Despite its simple setting, it’s an extremely popular sundowner beachfront restaurant. It offers great views to Taen and Mudsum islands and serves top-notch homemade Thai dishes – what more could you want for a wonderful evening off the beaten track in Koh Samui?
- Opening Hours: Monday–Saturday from 10 am to 8 pm (closed on Sundays)
- Location: Unit 2, 79/1 Moo 5, Road 4170, Baan Thong Krut, Koh Samui, Surat Thani 84140, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)61 178 5550